Lakewood Regional Medical Center is proud to be an integral part of the surrounding community. From orthopedics to cardiac care to urology, we have received many designations for quality care. Although we appreciate these prestigious honors, we are most honored by the opportunity to serve you and your loved ones. We are committed to finding new ways to improve and make our hospital the best place for patients, physicians and employees. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you, and we are here any time you need help.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits including a matching 401(k), several health & dental plans to choose from, generous tuition assistance plans, and relocation assistance for select positions.
The charge nurse provides direct supervision to all personnel on the assigned unit and coordinates the delivery of nursing services during a shift. This position is an integral role in the leadership of the Department of Nursing and requires sound managerial skills and a high degree of independent judgment and critical thinking skills. In addition to meeting all elements of the Registered Nurse Job Description, the charge nurse consistently meets the following elements of leadership:
1. Serves as a role model in professional conduct, exhibits behaviors supportive of hospital goals in the following areas, including but not limited to:
â�¢ Customer service with internal and external customers
â�¢ Positive attitude
â�¢ Creative problem solving
â�¢ Cooperation across interdepartmental lines and with co-workers
â�¢ Managing relationships
2. Conducts patient rounds daily, with Director, whenever possible. Looks for opportunities daily to exceed customerâ��s expectations.
3. Participates in staff meetings at least monthly and assists in the swift communication of staff meeting agenda items to assigned staff members and seeks feedback from staff.
4. All interactions are conducted in a professional manner.
5. Consistently contributes to the team effort by assisting co-workers with patient care when need is observed, demonstrating problem solving skills by modeling these skills while working with staff members and immediately intervening when Standards of Conduct are not upheld.
6. Conducts or ensures that discharge phone calls are made and information is recorded and followed up on as appropriate.
1. Demonstrates knowledge of performance/ process improvement methodology.
2. Offers suggestions for department and/or hospital-wide performance improvement.
3. Participates in data collection and problem identification. Takes the opportunity to act as a team member or team leader for process improvement initiatives whenever possible.
4. Assists in the implementation of the chosen care delivery model.
5. Assists Director with coordinating and in-servicing staff on new products or procedures
6. Assists Director to conduct staff competency checks/ reviews annually.
7. Works collaboratively with Director and other leaders to revise and/or develop policies and procedures.
8. Supports organizational and unit goals, standards, quality control and performance improvement.
1. Assists in determining unit specific needs for equipment, supplies, staffing, security and safety in the environment.
2. Submits unit supply orders if assigned and procures equipment from appropriate resources
and demonstrates an awareness of budgetary goals and cost containment strategies.
3. Demonstrates an awareness of budgetary goals and cost containment strategies when assessing staffing needs of the department.
4. Accepts responsibility for determining the need for Sitters after utilizing alternative methods.
â�¢ Completes a Sitter Approval for each shift a sitter is working.
1. Makes appropriate patient care and unit assignments, delegates tasks according to staff
competencies and ensures follow through and completion.
2. Completes and/or delegates the completion of the following:
â�¢ Crash cart checks
â�¢ Department logs including the identification of patients appropriate for the Partnership for Change diagnosisâ��s
â�¢ Patient assignment sheets
â�¢ Acuity measures
â�¢ Narcotic counts
â�¢ Meal break assignments and follow through
â�¢ Specific resource nurse for registry, new staff, students
3. Determines unit priorities for the shift with regard to patient care, patient flow (bed control),
staffing and distribution of resources.
4. Ensures that staff members and temporary agency staff are taking breaks/lunches as dictated by regulatory agencies and clock out on time.
â�¢ Accepts responsibility for arranging coverage
â�¢ Accepts responsibility for authorizing overtime by signature when other alternatives fail
5. Develops collaborative relationship with Nursing Supervisors and cooperates fully with
resource allocation and patient admissions determined by the Supervisor to be in the best
interest of the entire organization for a specific shift.
6. Communicates assessed needs in a positive, constructive manner and role models effective
cooperation between departments and with other charge nurses.
7. Assists the Director with the development of the staffing schedule and helps ensure that the
unit schedule is accurately communicated daily to the staffing clerk so that resources can be
ordered and distributed in a timely manner and in order to ensure a sufficient number of
regular staff is available to all units.
8. Participates in the peer interviewing process.
9. Rounds daily with Director to assess and improve the quality of care.
10. Provides input to the Director regarding team membersâ�� clinical performance, plans for
coaching, development and precepting.
11. Oversees the activities of all students.
12. Demonstrates awareness and articulates to the staff, the current performance of the unit in
patient satisfaction, recruitment and retention, and performance improvement strategies.
1. Develops innovative solutions to unit problems.
2. Attends outside seminars to remain current in nursing and specialty.
3. In collaboration with the Director, creates a self-development plan annually and ensures attendance at programs within the Clinical Manager Educational Matrix.
4. Collaborates with the Director and Education Department to ensure that staff is competent and fulfill their assigned duties.
5. Acts as role model and mentor for staff in building relationships with physicians and house supervisors.
Training and/or Experience
Critical Care course preferred or equivalent knowledge and skills validated by demonstration.
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Primary Location: Lakewood, California
Facility: Lakewood Regional Medical Center
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Nights
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.