Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
The Physician Assistant (PA) will work with the group of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care and Emergency Physicians in providing pre-, intra- and post-operative care for the patients admitted to the Trauma, Emergency General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care services at Mary Washington Hospital. The PA works closely with and assists the physician in providing quality, efficient, continuous, and cost-effective care throughout the patient's hospitalization.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Obtains, records, and dictates medical histories and physical examinations.
- Performs pre-operative and post-operative evaluations on patients.
- Makes daily rounds, records progress notes, writes routine orders (comfort and diet, laboratory tests, non-invasive examinations, etc.).
- Admits patients to the hospital.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic tests per written protocol.
- First assists in the Operating Room.
- Participates in trauma resuscitations.
- Evaluates patients in the Emergency Department and Surgical ICU.
- Performs repair of simple lacerations, I&D simple wounds, and skin biopsies.
- Performs procedures such as, general wound care, obtains cultures, and suture/staple removal.
- Performs critical care procedures (arterial lines, central lines, and chest tubes) per protocol under direct supervision and direction of the physician.
- May perform other procedures such as catheterize urinary bladder, place nasogastric tubes, insert IV catheters.
- Dictates discharge and transfer summaries.
- Educates patients and family regarding disease, procedures, medications, nutrition, health care and post-discharge care.
- Acts as liaison between patients, nurses, and surgeons.
- Requests consults from appropriate physicians.
- Follows-up with outpatients.
- Evaluates patients who require a surgical consult.
- Closes wounds and applies dressings
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Virginia Physician Assistant license required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire.
- Previous experience as a PA preferred. New graduates will be considered only if they possess Emergency Medicine, ICU or surgical tech experience.
- Current approval for prescriptive authority in Virginia.
- Currently holds a valid DEA certificate.
- ACLS and ATLS preferred.
- Critical Care experience preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.